Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Mold

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    oneonta al.
    Posts
    848

    Question

    On drawn comb that has been stored is it normal for it to have a lite film of mold on it? this comb has been stored in the dry & protected from wax moth,but like I said has lite mold on it, I was told that the bees cleans it up,can antone help? thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dousman,Wi.U.S.A.
    Posts
    209

    Post

    Bees are effective at cleaning up frames and making them look like new. They will clean up just like someone moving into a new apartment. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,553

    Post

    They clean things up pretty well.

    Are you sure it's mold? If you kept it dry and it was cleaned up by the bees after extraction, I wouldn't think it would mold. Comb does seem to get dry and brittle as it gets older and sometimes seem to have kind of a different look, not shiny, but that wouldn't be mold.

    Of course if it gets wet for very long it will mold.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Posts
    2,837

    Post

    Speaking of mold, I was out seeking relief from "cabin fever" this past sunday, and came upon a hive in the stripper pits. The hive appeared to be old and tattered, not pretty to look at, but maintained from the bees perspective. The top cover was slightly ajar, top super moved forward leaving about 1/4" gap, and 1/2" hardware cloth was over the small bottom entrance. Most of the front (facing east) of the hive, outside, was covered with black mold/mildew. Is this common?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,553

    Post

    The mold/mildew on the outside of the hive is a product of how much sun it gets, when it gets it and how much dew there is in that climate. I would say in Indiana with no paint and if that side doesn't get much sun because of trees etc, it's probably normal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    oneonta al.
    Posts
    848

    Post

    The mold looks almost like powered,It's just a light film on it.This older beekeeper is selling out & I'm thinking of buying him out,but I was wondering about the comb.He has them inside of a closed up shed, all of them is put inside of plastic bags & I wonder if they my have sweat inside of the bags is why it's got the film on them.. mark

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,553

    Post

    Is the mold gray? green? black? white? If't is a darker color then it's mold or mildew. If the comb is in plastic bags that would explain the mold. If there is much of it I'd pass on the buying the combs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    oneonta al.
    Posts
    848

    Post

    micheal: the mold is a dark gray,you can rub your finger over it& it's like powder.it comes of easy, mark

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    oneonta al.
    Posts
    848

    Post

    opp's sorry about the spelling MICHAEL,

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,553

    Post

    I suppose if the combs were mine, I'd see how well the bees cleaned them up. But I don't think I'd buy them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Mason, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,015

    Lightbulb

    Sounds like the mold could be powdery mildew.
    not a good mold.
    Clint

    ------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads