Question

I'm looking for information about making splits using the Vince Cook method. This method is supposed to limit robbing by balancing hive strength. Have you heard of it?

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/method2.html

The basic concept of the Vince Cook method is that the new hives are centered around the location of the old one so the field bees have to choose between them instead of all of them going back to the old one.

For instance if you are making two hives out of one, put them both facing the old spot with neither entrance facing the same as the old one. Like one on each side facing the old one. That way the returning field bees can't just go in the old location by habit they have to decide. Once they decide they usually stick with that decision and the bees are fairly evenly distributed.

Wink

Thanks Michael, that is exactly what I was looking for.
    I am so glad I found this board.

Rod350, This is the best board that I have found. Easy to use and just like talking to other Beekeepers. Don't be afraid to ask questions. My thoughts, Dale

If you have more interest in Vince Cooks' queen rearing methods he wrote a few books on the subject. If I remember correctly they used to be available from Dadant and they are probably still available there.