Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi MB,

Floride is a neurotoxin..

It's poison. You might check your tube of paste to read about not swallowing it etc.

If you would like to know more, do a little research on it..

I fill the gallon jug with distilled water, adding what I want to it etc...

But again, I only have four hives going into spring.

I have a question,,,

Where did you learn that floride is naturally occuring?

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited February 26, 2004).]

I found it MB....

I'm reading....

Learning....

'0)
    http://www.nofluoride.com/Veterans_Press.htm

I have more to read but this is some of the research that has been discussed...

The head of the EPA drinks only distilled water.

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited February 26, 2004).]

Cher, another thing.

If the hive is level, rain water will get inside.

Even if you elevate the rear of the hive a bit, it still gets inside.

So I created a little doo-dad to keep the water off the porch, although you can make or buy other such items...

I use sticks and tape to make two triangles and tape these onto the front of the hives and wrap a water proof fabric over it and attach this to the sides, creating a covered patio for their porch.

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited February 27, 2004).]

>Floride is a neurotoxin..

So are a lot of things in large amounts, including almost all of your essential oils, including wintergreen, pepermint etc.

>It's poison. You might check your tube of paste to read about not swallowing it etc.

In large amounts, yes.

>If you would like to know more, do a little research on it..

I've done quite a bit.

>I fill the gallon jug with distilled water, adding what I want to it etc...

Kind of expensive for a critter that will only live for six weeks or so on distilled water and six weeks or so on swimming pool water.

>Where did you learn that floride is naturally occuring?

I first heard it from my Dad when I was about four and he recounted the story of how the connection of floride to teeth was made by an Army dentist. I've run into it whenever I've research anything on it. I recently had my well tested and the floride content was one of the results. It is about half of the amount they put in municiple water supplies that is naturally occuring in my well right now.

If you get much MORE than the recommended amount of floride it will mottle your teeth and probably NOT be good for them. Floride actually occurs naturally in some places at levels TOO high and it has to be removed. The water systems of the country just add enough or remove enough to keep the dosage at what has been proven to be good for your teeth and bones and not bad for you otherwise. It is still at a level less than it occurs naturaly some places and only slightly higher than it occures other places. There is no water in the world occuring naturally without floride. While we are on the subject, there is ALSO no water occuring naturally without arsenic and many other traces minerals.

Thanks MB,.....

It's use has been banned in Europe.

I don't use toothpaste from the walmarts etc.

I use ivory soap.

Cool

Cool Daisy!
    I love your little porch awning. Did you put out little chairs too? ; )

Hey we in the midwest LOVE to sit on the porch.

Where do you get your water? Johnson County? I know that KCK BPU has really really hard water. Why do you add a bit of salt to it?
    AND do the birds get into your dog/bee water dish? I'm thinking of putting a little fountain out back, like in a half whiskey barrel. My dog would think the dog dish was for her. Stings on the doggie tongue wouldn't be a good thing.

Martha

Daisy,

What does the distilled water you buy come in? Plastic jugs? If so, perhaps you should consider what is in the plastic too.
    I do research in biology (nerve cells) and once had a colleague who was running some experiments testing the effects of certain substances on bone cells. She dissolved the stuff in water and put it into plastic syringes (those used for injections in humans). These syringes were connected to plastic tubing (tubing that is used in i.v.drips) from which the liquid dripped onto the bone cells. She noticed something odd: whenever the stuff was kept in the syringesfor a long time before dripping it onto the cells her cells died. Whenever the stuff was kept in the syringes for a short time before dripping it, the cells survived OK. The specific substances she was testing had nothing to do with this because she saw this even when it was not present in the solutions. She started changing tubing and syringes and saw that this happened only with certain plastic types the tubing was made of. The companies that made the tubing never disclosed to her what (or how) the tubing was made of.

What is the morale of this story?: plastics release nasty stuff and there is always stuff in everything we eat or drink. Sometimes the remedy can be worse than the problem. Personally, I think that plastic bottled water stinks (literally) and I can't stand the taste. Besides, when I was a kid I loved to eat toothpaste. It never made me feel sick and I'm still around.

Jorge

Cool

Hi Martha,

I pile so many rocks into the dish that the cat and dog can't really lick the water.

The only problems I have are the chickens.....

They scratch the rocks out of the dish to get a drink... Bees can't sting the chickens. Not as far as I have been able to tell.

You have to be careful about outdoor water because bees get in and drown.

Jorge, here's a link...
    http://www.wholesalewaterdistillers....distiller.html

Oh and, Martha

I have minerals I put into my stuff.

I used them last year and I'll be using them again this year.....

Well, I'm using a different formula this spring and not ready to announce the source yet..

Stay Tuned......

LOL

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited March 02, 2004).]

Opps

Martha, All I know is I pay the water bill in Gardner... Johnson Co yes/

Our water comes from Hillsdale Lake, to the best of my knowledge...

It doesn't seem to be too hard.

Or too soft.

Probably on the hard side though.....

Daisy,
    it is pretty common for water departments to post a profile of their water. You should be able to find out the source and mineral content of your water and it should not cost you anything. Some communities use several water sources causing the profile to change throughout the year. If you are on a private well you can have your water profiled for a fairly reasonable fee.
    George

[This message has been edited by mattoleriver (edited March 03, 2004).]

Always make sure your pants are zipped when pulling off supers.

Big Grin

Ouch! Interesting picture....you must be a good dancer.

OK, colors. I keep hearing the bees do not like dark colors like black/navy blue. A guy in my bee group had a black or dark band on the cuff of his bee gloves. he had to pitch those.

What's the deal with that? Is red, regular blue, blue jeans etc ok? I do hang out some of my wash in the summer. I sure don't want them killing themselves over a pair of jeans on the line!

Thanks,
    Martha

>OK, colors. I keep hearing the bees do not like dark colors like black/navy blue. A guy in my bee group had a black or dark band on the cuff of his bee gloves. he had to pitch those.

>What's the deal with that? Is red, regular blue, blue jeans etc ok? I do hang out some of my wash in the summer. I sure don't want them killing themselves over a pair of jeans on the line!

They aren't going to attack your jeans on the line. It's just one more trigger in their defense mechanism. If a predator is moving around the hive and is dark they react more. Probably think you're a bear. I work the bees all the time in my blue jeans. It would be wiser to put on some white pants, but unless they are acting defensive, I don't bother. On the other hand I've seen someone put a veil on a black hat and they nailed the hat a lot. He gave up on that one.

Again it's the combination. The hat is near your face, which is a trigger. Your face is a source of CO2 which is also a trigger. So a black hat gets nailed a lot. Dark pants will get stung now and then. My knee seems to be as common a target as any probably partly because it's stretched tight enough for the bees to sting through it. They seem to be able to sense that.

Several of yall said "don't smoke em"
    Why?

Martha, I don't wear gloves....etc.

But I have a dark robe and if I wear it out to the hives, and move about, they come at me.

Lets see, I don't smoke because they panic, tear into thier pretty honey comb, gorge in preparation for fleeing a fire...

It takes a couple of days to repair the damage that can be done,,,, etc.

I spritz the entrance, and spritz the top of the open box.. with sugar water. They deal with that, enjoy it and I can do my thing.

I use covers over my open hives if I'm going deep into their house for things like checking for the queen or her pattern....etc.

And so forth....

I usually smoke them. If it's a small mating nuc or a small split I might just spritz them with some light (2 parts water to 1 part sugar) syrup. But if it's a big booming hive, I smoke them. A couple of puff in the bottom and a couple in the top and wait a minute or two for them to settle down and eat some honey.

And here's another thread with "beginners" advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12