dcromwel Guest

Just got word from my local bee supplier that next weeks package pickup (of bees trucked in from Georgia) has been postponed a full week "due to poor weather."

Any one else know of delays in queen and package productions in Georgia or elsewhere due to poor weather?

Shuman's and Hardeman's are both on time and my pick-ups not delayed. I did hear from the grapevine that Wilbank's and perhaps others had problems with thier first queen grafts.

I spoke to Dennis Miller, (Miller bee supply, Balt.)yesterday. His order of 300 packages from Hardeman is a week behind due to cold weather. Queens are also behind. One of my colonies is in dire need of splitting, and would like to provide a queen for them. This colony already has two medium supers full of uncapped, and is crammed with bees.

dcrom,
    Do you know what nectar source could be so strong this early in the year?

I also recieved a notice that packages from wilbanks will be dalayed 1 week because of cold wet weather.

dcromwel Guest

Bill, the only blossoms we have in sight are the weeping cherries. And my one medium super (only on for a week) is no where near as far along as yours. So, you must have something going on there in Arnold that we don't have here in the Towson area. Sounds good.

Best of luck,

David in Baltimore

My Georgia bees were delayed from April 1 to April 9. Just got them in Friday. So I believe everything was pushed back a week, according to my supplier, GZBZ, Clyde, Ohio. Although I am a beginner, i can tell you that the bees were great! See my post in the Top Bar section for my experience and the loss I had Friday night from the temps. My supplier also said he does not have to treat for mites until the fall, because they were treated in Georgia, also no Small beetle in that area, which i was worried about. He said he treats with vinegar in the fall and has not had mite problems for 3 years...
    Berkey David