Thread: Ants

Well yesterday I set up y hive. And things look nromal today. Although, there does seem to be a steady stream of ants heading up side of hive. Looksk like there going up to the hive top feeder. Anyway to stop them? They don't appear to be going inside the hive really.

If you find a way I want to know. Havent had much luck keeping ants out. Tried pans of water and it works, but kills many bees also. Anybody have any good ideas?

Food grease works good. Also Petrol Jelly is nice.

Boric acid on their trails tends to confuse the ants. So does baking soda. I tend to just leave the ants alone as long as they aren't messing with the bees. And usually they aren't.

You can also find their trail and sprinkle tobacco (lke top or bugler) on the trail.

I put a solid line of cinnamon around the top of the feeder and the ants don't seem to like that!

The cinnamon works for me too. You've got to use a lot of it, and replace it when it rains. But the ants hate it.

I also know a beekeeper who puts his hive on small stilts. He puts each leg into an empty soup can full of vegetable oil. He says it keep the ants out like a charm. I've been meaning to try this, because replacing the cinnamon all the time is sometimes a pain.

[This message has been edited by thebeesknees (edited May 14, 2004).]