Thread: advice needed

Last year I had a someone call me about catching a swarm. Since I did not know much about bees, I built a box to put them in until I could get a "real hive". The box I constucted was deeper than it should have been by abiut six inches. I put frames in it with foundation. I( thought that once I got the bees started I would change them to the correct size box. When i checked them, last year they had started building on the bottom of frames instead of on foundation. It was latre in year so I left them for winter. They survived the winter. Three of the 10 frames were drawn out on bottom straight with frame. The other seven crossed. I decided to move this in a new hive with on deep.I transfered the three to the new deep, I had to cut about 3 inches off bottom to make the frame the right size The other was such a mess that I had three more frames by wiring on the comb and brood. I put 4 empty frames(no foundation) in the deep.That was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. When I was doing this I found several swarm cells that I distroyed. Then I came inside and read a post from Michael that said the cells this early were probably not swarm cells but cells replacing an bad queen.
    I checked these day before yesterday and they had filled all frames. eggs were spotty, except two frames had about 100 drone cells. There was two more capped queen cells. How long before these hatch and start laying. I put on another deep. Lots of bees in hive.

Keep yore queen cells and move most of the bees up to the second story with a divider between the 2.Let the old queen go ,the rest will be up on top with the naw hatch.It will take a while cause yew removed the cells so they will start all over in the old queen box.those cells are worth $15-20.00 hatcht out and mated.Hpe ya got lots of drones.They usualy don't swarm less there is.
    B. roger eagles

I would think that the new queen will be laying in 3 weeks or a little less.