Question

Since getting my bees, more and more people have asked me to remove bees from their house, business, neighbor's house, etc. I usually refer them to their county extension office, but was wondering, is removing these hives like catching wild swarms? Has anyone removed a whole hive out of a person's house before? Did you keep the bees? How did you do it?

I have done it. Every case is different, but unless you have a lot of free time or it's a very simple removal, you should charge for your services. A swarm is usually easy. Unless it's really high up or hard to get to. But bees in a tree or a house are almost always quite difficult and sometimes impossible or dangerous. I generally pass on anything that is very high up and very inaccessable. Having a bee in your veil when you're 30 feet up a ladder requires a lot of focus and self control.

"Free bees for you" is a video by Brushy Mt. on removing bees. It shows the basic techiques.

Here are a good link: http://www.kohala.net/bees/capture/index.html

I've taken alot of bees from house's & business,My son started it as a side line,& it grew VERY fast,as Michael pointed out each job is different,We charge a fee on every job,min 75.00& that is just for a swarm hanging on a low limb,You will need alot of different equp-.remove dry wall,brick's& ect- as far as the free bee's alot of the time it is alot better just to buy some bee's,Removinga hive from inside of a house is the hard part,you have to build a wall of plastic to confind the bees & believe me they will find away out if they can.then you got bees all over the house,cover the floor because it is a mess,from inside it's best to do it at night that way they will all be inside,after you cut all the comb out pack something Insulation or something then seal the hole that they are going in up where what you did'nt get can't get back in.that is why I don't fill bad about charging the way I do,& I do charge .We have taken over 30 hives out this year.& I've got alot of them to do yet:GAbee if you like you can E-mail me & I'll help all I can,>>>Mark

Thanks for the info. Right now, I don't think I could get into it... But in a few years, who knows, it sounds very interesting. That link was great.