Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

WBC Hive

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  beezy 
#1 ·
My wife saw the WBC hive plans on the site and now wants one for her garden. I haven't been able to find much in the way of what the interior looks like, i.e., frames, foundation, etc.. should I just build her a "decorative" model, or put bees in it?

#2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chip:
My wife saw the WBC hive plans on the site and now wants one for her garden. I haven't been able to find much in the way of what the interior looks like, i.e., frames, foundation, etc.. should I just build her a "decorative" model, or put bees in it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am not familiar with the term WBC but should you refer to this hive made of straw , called skep as depicted in pictures of old and as symbol then you should inquire with your state Apiarist whether they are LEGAL . These skeps promote diseases and are difficult to maintain under the present circumstances.There are generally not legal
as far as I can determine.
Catfish
PS Of course you could display a decorative model and keep your colony in an approved device.

[This message has been edited by Juandefuca (edited 04-19-2000).]

#3 ·
The WBC hive is an old English hive. It is not the same dimensions as the langstroth and therefore frames and wooden ware are not interchagable. It is not well suited to modern beekeeping, especially in this country. Nevertheless it is quaint and appealing in looks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.