Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dead bees

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Paul B 
#1 ·
Two days ago I transfered a nuc into my first ever hive. This morning I noticed 5 or 6 dead bees in front of the entrance. I took a quick peek inside and all seems well, but I'm concerned that this may be a warning sign. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You
Gary

#2 ·
Fear Not !!
You'll find that over time, as you keep working with bees, that there will sometimes be dead bees at the entrance. The "Housekeeping" bees will remove them from the hive and throw them overboard. If you find that most of your colony is dead, then you have a problem. Just keep checking periodically to make sure that the Queen is still laying eggs to build up the strength of the colony. You'll also find that whenever you move a colony to a new box or open up the hive for an inspection, some bees will be crushed because they tend to crawl out all over the place. The only time that I get concerned over the dead bees at the entrance is when one of them is the Queen.

Good Luck,
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.