Howdy, I was checking the hive and found two cells that were larger than the others, the tops of these cells are 1/4 inch taller than the others, they are on two different frames. these cells are just sticking up proud of the other cells. Information on the hives: 24 days old now, I have 3 completely filled frames with larva pollen and honey, and two that are being filled, new bees are hatching now. I have the Dadant book, and a couple of others, but see no pictures like the two cells I have. I do have a viable queen, although unmarked she is easily found, being almost golden and almost twice as long as the workers. the bees are very docile, I have fed them 24 cups of sugarwater so far, and 1/4 patty of artificial pollen, although that has now been removed, as pollen is coming in. FGMO is being used as a miticide.

Tell us more about them, are they filled with anything? Capped?

If they are capped I'm guessing drone brood. They will always make drone especially on any repaired foundation that was broken, etc.

If the are uncapped, they might be a queen cup. They will always be present, and is no indication of future swarming at this point. Look up "queen cup" in the books glossary for maybe info.

In either case with new hives it is normal and nothing to worry about. As you inspect, look in queen cups to get an idea of future swarmimg, etc. and note if eggs have been laid.

Howdy, sorry for not saying, they were capped and standing proud 1/4 inch. I have not seen a queen cell yet except in picures, have seen both the drone bee, ( seems to be only one so far, great big black guy that has been seen flying into hive on occasion, he is the same size as the queen, almost 1 1/2 times size of workers) eggs, larva, new bees coming out of cells! woohoo!! honey capped and uncapped, pollen, all the good stuff I'm supposed to see. no evidence of mites yet, got crap on bottom board, but see no mites, yet. got stung on finger while holding frame, exciting time! had a friend who was observing squirt a little smoke into air when that happened, seemed to quiet bees. I figured that a little smoke at that time would be good and it seemed to work. I wear no gloves, just head protection.

Sounds like drone cells, how many dandelions you got blooming down there?

Drone brood. It has a round dome cap (bullet shaped) and it's bigger. The bees will build it in odd places here and there.

If you have 10% or less of this kind of brood this is normal. If you start getting nothing but this, you have a queen problem. Either she's not fertile or she's gone and a worker is laying them. If you have 15% to 20% try culling the comb that has the drone cells on it.