dcromwel Guest

New beekeeper this season. Wondering if any experienced keepers had strong feelings about herbicides and bees. I have a recently discovered patch of poison ivy behind my hives. Any advice?

Thanks,

David

I use the scorched earth approach on all permanent yards with 2,4D and Roundup.

I read somewhere along the way that Round-up is not harmful to bees, but that MSMA is. I think I would spray it late in the evening either way.

I'm not fond of chemicals. There are lots of ways to kill weeds. Putting a sheet of black plastic on the ground is pretty effective as are scraps of plywood etc. But I have resorted to chemicals for the thistles on occasion. The Roundup I have usually regretted because it killed too much of the grass around the thistle.

Smile

hey outdoor clorox sprayed undiluted from sprayer will kill all vegitation and it is just chlorine(we get plenty of that stuff in public drinking water)

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

About Round-up,

I was asking myself the same question a few days ago about the inocuity of round-up with the bees. Monsanto (the company that sells Round-up) says that there is no toxicity with bees, at recommanded dosage, neither by direct contact or by the nectar: the product is rapidly absorbed by the plant's leaves.

Hope this helps...

Wineman - is there a commercial produuct whose main ingredient is 2,4D?

When I buy it, I just get the Ace Hardare or True Value Hardware brand. It will be a broadleaf killer that you can put on grass. Read the ingredients. It will be 2 (something) 4 (somthing) Dimethyl(somthing). If you want their roundup equivilant (which kills everything that grows) it will be advertised to kill everything.

There are a bunch of blends....I believe I read somewhere once that it is one of the first herbicides from just after WWII era. I believe it is component of most any broadleaf killer that you can pick up at the garden center or feed store.

mmundy Guest

Just read about spraying weeds with Vinegar in the section of Beesource called "In the News."
    http://www.beesource.com/news/article/vinegar.htm

------------------
    Michael Mundy
    Liberty Missouri
    http://www.geocities.com/libertybees/

I researched glyphosate (the active ingredient in Roundup) quite extensively about 8 years ago when I put in my water garden. The source for the following was the old EXTOXNET which at that time was maintained by a number of universities including Cornell Mich State, Oregon State and U of CA, Davis.

I have made no attempt since then to search for more recent research, but I found no particular cause for concern at that time with fish or honeybees assuming proper use and application.

" Glyphosate is relatively non-toxic to honeybees. Its oral and dermal LD50 is greater than 0.1 mg/ bee (7)."

(7) The Agrochemicals handbook. 1991. The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, England.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Lightbulb

A lady that I work with is an organic gardener. I really don't like to use chemicals. So I bounce questions off of her all the time and see just told me the other day that she uses Rubbing Alcohol and vinegar in a garden sprayer.