Thread: drone comb

What is proper procedure for using drone foundation to combat mites?

I am trying this out for the first time this year. I could go into detail or you can visit this page:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jtemp/dronemethod.html

The link is the more effective but more complicated version. An simple version used by many is to just put in a frame of drone foundation and pull it when it's capped and freeze it overnight and put it back in the hive for the bees to clean up and lay another batch. The main thing is not to lose track of time. Three weeks (21 days) is the OUTSIDE amount of time it should stay in the hive. After that you're in danger of them all emerging (on day 23 or 24) with the newly reproduced mites. [img]smile.gif[/img] If I were doing it, I would pull it as soon as they are capped.

I had planned to do this as a fallback position if I had mite problems while regressing to small cell but did not need to. It seems like a large loss of resources for the bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Having done this, I strongly recommend having 2 frames of drone comb per hive if you only have one yard and typically work all hives at the same time. I tried getting by with only one extra and rotated through my hives. But the timing got very confusing. With 2 "sets", you can breeze through your yard replacing them all on the same schedule. This also keeps you from having a gape in the hive. Also, it might be wise to remember to pull those frozen combs out early enough to warm so they don't chill the hive when inserted.

I'm on small cell now, but when I used drone comb, I had great success. I'm wondering if my drone come will come in handy for "spring/ fall" cleaning of mites that co-habitate in the small cell hives.

WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote