Question

Hi- a neighbor of mine opened one of his hives and found a weird puddle of goo on his bottom board. He said that the puddle was about 3 inches in diameter and the material looked like the whitish glaze off a donut. Any ideas of what it was or what caused it?

He said that the hive appears weak with only a small number of bees clustered together.

Thanks for any insights you can offer me that I can share with my neighbor. He only has two hives and would like to not lose this one if he can figure out what is happening.
    don<br /><a href=\"http://www.spokaneclassifiedsonline.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.spokaneclassifiedsonline.com </a>

NC Beeman Guest

Sounds like crystallized honey. Did he taste it? Smell it? What was the consistency of it? Was it clear or white? Has he been feeding thick syrup?

I went through half of my hives last Sunday and found the same thing. Except I know what it is. I feed HFCS, when I was stirring it in the top feeder I sloshed some into the hive that dripped down to the tray under the SBB.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I have sometimes found a slimy substance I assume was some kind of fungus on the bottom board of a hive that needed more ventilation.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have found that a grease patty will "weep" puddles. I replace the patty.

"Hi- a neighbor of mine opened one of his hives and found a weird puddle of goo on his bottom board."
    "Sounds like crystallized honey. Did he taste it? "

I think I've got a ways to go toward being a bee keeper if that means being willing to stick any ooze I found at the bottom of my hive in my mouth for identification purposes.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

NC Beeman Guest

"Did he taste it?"
    I would have put a smiley face at the end of that one but I can't figure out how to work this machine. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    You know the old joke, "Looks like it, smells like it, tastes like it. Glad I didn't step in it."
    "A weird puddle of goo" doesn't give us much to go on to try to help identify it.

No, he didn't taste it. Would you?

The only additional description he gave me was that the 3" diameter puddle looked like the sugar glaze topping on a donut. He said it was a bit runnier than honey, but similiar in consistency.
    don<br /><a href=\"http://www.spokaneclassifiedsonline.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.spokaneclassifiedsonline.com </a>

NC Beeman Guest

Hi Don, No thanks, not unless it's crystallized honey. You can tell that by the texture (it's grainy) and smell (like honey).

It is honey, I found the same thing.It looks like glazing from a donut. I was smart enough to smell it before I tried it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "To bee or not to bee"

Thanks. Yep, he did say it looked just like donut glazing.