Thread: Honey bound ?

I have a hive that is in it's second season . I openned it up today with intensions of splitting it for increase . It has 3 deep hive bodys and 3 supers on it . They have every cell full of nectar in the deeps and not a drop in supers .

I found the queen wondering around like was lost with no brood visable at all anywhere .I placed her into a 4 frame nuc with 2 drawn empty combs along with a drawn full frame of nectar and included a bunch of her bees .Was this a good move ? I plan on giving them another deep on the bottom with a new queen I have in the morning .

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

I'd split the hive in half and requeen each,then checker board empty drawn frames/foundation and stores ,which would provide room for the queen to lay.
    What type of frames are you using?Queen excluder?
    Try removeing the excluder for a week and see if they start storeing in the upper supers then replace the excluder.
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

No excluder on it . I may split and requeen both halves as there are plenty of bees and forage now .

Thanks

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .