Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Best Bees & Hives

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beezy 
#1 ·
I am seeking advice on the best bee’s for hot and humid climate (like in Kuwait). As a new bee keeper I wonder if using plastic bottoms and covers for my hives is any good?!.
Your advice is highly appreciated

#2 ·
Hi ALABBASI -

Being a long way from Kuwait, in a very different climate, I would suggest you use bees that are breed and raised in your area. Surely there are other beekeepers around you? Start there.

As far as the plastic hive parts go, I only use wood. Some comments made by another who has used them:

"Plastic bottom boards warp but they are so tough and resistant to rot and insect damage that I have just put my six colonies back onto them. The better-constructed ones have a tab in the center of the hive entrance which helps keep the warping under control. The tab also makes designing and installing winter entrance-reducers more of a challenge.

Plastic inner covers do not work; I stopped using them. They warp. I suspect they may have water condense on them in winter which the warp then funnels to drip onto the cluster of bees below."
Tim Sterrett

-------

-Barry

#3 ·
Try New Age Product, Ray sells molded polyurethane telescoping covers, inner covers and bottom boards. I use them and find them quite satisfactory. They are about 1 inch thick, indestructable, and polyurethane is rigid and a poor conductor of heat and cold, Therefore they provide a cooler hive in the summer and a warmer hive in the winter.
His ph# is 330-667-2766 and he can reached by e-mail <hometown.aol.com/rhulec/index.html>

#4 ·
No Do not use plastic it will wrarp in the heat use wood and paint it white.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALABBASI:
I am seeking advice on the best bee’s for hot and humid climate (like in Kuwait). As a new bee keeper I wonder if using plastic bottoms and covers for my hives is any good?!.
Your advice is highly appreciated
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

#5 ·
The polyurathane products by New Age Porducts do not warp, they are in fact quite rigid and do not require a center support.
If heated beyond 230 degs, you can bend them, but they will return to their original configuration as they cool. Being an injection molding tech, I had access to a quality testing lab of a major manufacture and find the products far exceed any use or for that matter and abuse beekeepers may impose on them. They do need to be painted however to avoid degradationby ultra-violet light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.