Thread: queen question

I am in my seventh week since hiving my first package of bees and am extremely paranoid about being queenless. Since I am "almost blind" even with glasses or contacts I could be missing those **** tiny eggs. I added a second deep two weeks ago and there should be more frame with brood cells than I see (I would think). Most of the upper is eighther filled with what could be nectar or water and only three of the center frames have capped brood cells two of these were brought up fom the bottom. what is a "normal" amount of frames containing brood vs. frames with nectar? The two new frames that replaced the ones baited up also contain what appears to be water or nectar. What goin on here?

Believe it or not that's about normal. In seven weeks three or four frames of brood isn't bad. You probably have a frame of eggs also which makes about five frames of brood. When those all start emerging you'll have a population explosion.

Lightbulb

there were also three to four in the bottom deep. I think it's time to add a super because onlky the two frames of new foundation that replaced the ones taken out are not worked on yet everything else even in the upper is 5-6 frames with at least 25% drawn comb. still have not really seen eggs since my original inspection but if there is capped brood still there must be a queen present. saw no larvae eighther.

Do you wear glasses to read? If so you need to wear them when checking the hive. It's the same kind of distance. You should be able to see larvae if you can see well enough to read. Sometimes you have to look closely to see between all the bees COVERING the larvae, but you should be able to see them. I think there is larvae (there WAS larvae or there wouldn'b be capped brood) but it's good to know for sure.

I'm sure there are larvae and eggs. I also spoke to my local beekeeper guru and he said the same as long as theree are capped brood don't worry about it.I have to wear glasses all the time my vision is about 20/475! still cant see 20/20 with them on.

Then seeing young larvae may have to do. You can only really know that there was a laying queen there last week, but that may be good enough.