Looking to plant a little forage for next spring. I have several large fields that are a clay/loam mix. Lousiana White S-1 clover might do rather well on it. Is this particular clover strain a good nectar source for bees? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Huban is very good, but hard to find and expensive when you do. White dutch and sweet seem to be the most inexpensive and both do well. Red is about the only one that the bees can't use very well. I keep planting a different ones figuring they will bloom at different times, tolerate drought differently and maybe fill the gaps. But them I mostly plant to fill gaps. In the past I've planted subclover, crimson clover (not red clover), dutch clover, sweet clover, alfalfa and birdsfoot trefoil.

This fall I planted dutch clover and will be planting some Chicory (the wildflower type, not the "forage" type $18 a pound) and some goldenrod. I can't affort much goldenrod though. It's $180 a pound. The Dutch clover is about $3 a pound at the local feed store. I'm also going to stagger planting buckwheat ($1 a pound) in the spring to try to have blooms from late spring to late fall.

The chicory and goldenrod both bloom from summer until frost around here, so they are good for a long period of time.

I was talking to the guy who planted all the buckwheat near me, he got his seed from Albert Lee(sp?) in MN, $12/50#, if you're looking for enough to justify shipping it.