Thread: Water Proximity

I have looked in Dummies and Hive/Honeybee and often find the reference....... "have a nearby water source......"

What defines nearby?? My hives will be about 100 to 150 yards from a lake. Is this close enough or should I make some kind of pond close to the hives?

There will be 20 or more colonies here in the long term.

It isn't said enough here......... thanks to all who make this valuable resource possible. Go to the home page and donateif you can!!

that should be close enough provided that they don't find someones pool or watering tank closer and more inviting.They like to find places that are stable more like puddles than open water. I have placed a large sponge with a pingpong ball inside it in a 5 gallon pail and they love it. the ball keeps the sponge on top and the bees land on the sponge.
    Stuart

There is a small cattle pond about 200 yards as well.

I would like to keep this as low maintainace as possible.

A half a mile is a nearby watersource to the bees. I try to provide a closer one, but that will get them by.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Great!!! There are a few sloughs along the way to the canola fields as well........

Glad I don't have to lug water around!