Question

Lost a queen about two weeks ago, due to balling. Opened hive yesterday to find super full of honey but no eggs or larve. Just plenty of bee's working, and no capped brood. I didnt see any queen cells either. Would it be too soon for a new queen to be laying or is it possible I am queenless? Any suggestions?

>Lost a queen about two weeks ago, due to balling.

You're sure? Why would they ball the queen?

>Opened hive yesterday to find super full of honey but no eggs or larve. Just plenty of bee's working, and no capped brood. I didnt see any queen cells either. Would it be too soon for a new queen to be laying

Yes it would. The question is it too soon for her to have emerged and did you see any used queen cells.

Let's do the math. You say "about" two weeks, and that's not accurate enough to say, but let's look at the numbers.

If they started a queen cell the day after the queen was killed let's call that day 1 (1 day after the queen died). They will start with a 3 day old larvae, probably, so the queen cell will be capped about five days after that. She will emerge on day 13. (which could be already) and she will mate on day 22 to 24 and you can hope (weather permiting) to find some eggs on day 25 or a little longer if some of her mating flights are posponed by wind or rain.

>or is it possible I am queenless? Any suggestions?

It is possible. Was there brood in the hive before the queen was balled? If so, I have no doubt they attempted to raise a queen and you should be able to find a queen cell that was used and now empty.

I'd say the odds are that there is a virgin in the hive who hasn't mated yet and you may not see eggs for another 12 days. But the cheapest insurance, in case they FAILED to raise a queen, is to add a frame of eggs and brood from another hive, if you have it. That way they have the resources to resolve the problem if they need a queen, and they can ignore it if they have one and the eggs and brood will boost the hive anyway.

On May 20th I was routinely checking my hive and found everything in order. I also found 5 to 10 bees all over my queen. When I got to her she was dead. There was eggs, brood and capped brood at that point. They had started to cap honey too. I left the hive to itself for a few weeks and checked it yesterday June 5th. I have a meduim super full of honey, and the medium brood chamber was mostly hatched, with plenty of clean cells but no eggs, or larve. But plenty of bees throughout. I think I saw a queen. But due to inexperience,(first year, first hive) am not sure. She was long with two separate eyes unlike the drone that has one sort of eye. But again I am a newby.... But i didnt notice any queen cells per say. Plus I only have one hive so unable to switch eggs and brood from another.

A queen cell started on May 20th with a 3 day old larvae would be laying by June 14th if the weather for the week before wasn't too rainy or windy for her to mate.

That's another eight days from now.

I appreciate the info. I will give it a few weeks and recheck the hive to ensure there are new brood coming. When would it be too late to requeen if there isnt one laying at that time?

------------------
    "Just carrying on that family tradition."