Thread: Swarm Traps...

dtwilliamson Guest

What types of swarm traps do some of you use? I was thinking of just using a nuc with frames of foundation (don't have any drawn comb)strapped to a tree limb.

Also, I was planning on using a swarm lure but is this necessary?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dan

>What types of swarm traps do some of you use?

I have bought the plastic MDA splitters from:
    MDA Splitter Nuc Boxes
    P.O. Box 9552
    Wyoming, MI 49509
    616-241-3235
    mdiss1@juno.com

These work pretty well. I don't like the lack of stiffness in the box. I usually use frames with just starter strips or cut most of the comb out of an old brood frame so that there's not much for the wax moths to get into but the old brood frame smells right. I put some lemongrass oil on the top bars of the frames. I've also used old wooden nuc boxes and 8 frame boxes. (I use all mediums so these were medium depth). It helps if there have been bees in them before so they smell right, but the lemongrass oil or some swarm lure will help a lot. Don't expect a lot of swarms, but you might get one for every ten boxes you put out. When you find a good spot, put more of them there.

>I was thinking of just using a nuc with frames of foundation (don't have any drawn comb)strapped to a tree limb. Also, I was planning on using a swarm lure but is this necessary?

The nuc will work fine. I would just put in starter strips not full sheets of foundation because the swarm wants a place they can make a big cluster. If it's a new nuc and new frames, then yes, some kind of swarm lure is necessary, that is if you really want to catch bees. It will improve your chances significantly. But Lemongrass essential oil is much cheaper and, I think, works just as well. If it's a previously occupied box with previously used frames then you might get by without the swarm lure, but I use it anyway.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited April 19, 2004).]

I was being lazy and I stacked three of my old brood boxes to the side instead of putting them away, it had a bottom board drawn comb, but a crumy lid with huge cracks in it, I left for vacation and when I came back and started looking at my hives and I fond out that I had one more hive than when I left, and they were using the crummy lid for an entrance. So I'd have to recomend old drawn out comb if you can get some.

Joseph

dtwilliamson Guest

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a try.... Oh and btw....where can I find lemongrass oil? Is is a pretty common item?

Dan

http://www.naturesoils.com/essentialoils/lemongrass.htm

A lot of places with essential oils have it in stock.

Big Grin

You can get lemongrass oils at a healthfood store also.