Thread: sugar water

One of my hives is taking syrup a lot faster than the others is it just drawining more comb or something?

A lot of what bees do is habit. One hive will get in the habit of using the syrup and another won't. Once they start they are more likely to stay at it. Another hive might have gotten more interested in some nectar source down the road. Bees tend to do things together. Probably all the hives are doing the same thing with the syrup or the nectar they gather.

These gals are tear'n me apart! I've been feed'n them the surup and they are going to town on it. Once again...start'n out on a new hive with foundation (RiteCell). Will they slack off with the nectar flow???

...or are they gett'n lazy with the sugar water? I've understood that once the nectar flow that they would stop with the sugar water... is this one of the ways on tell'n the nector flow???

I know that this might all sound dumb but I'll take y'alls experience because the "books" don't tell all.

I've seen them stop taking syrup during a flow and I've seen them just keep at the syrup. It's a group think kind of thing. If the group goes for it they keep at it. If they a new package starting off or a split I just feed them as long as they take it because it saves them alot of stress. If it's an established hive, I don't feed them in the spring except maybe early for stimulation.

Question

Onthe subject of sugar,I have access to about 1000 lb's of powered sugar from a cookie factor,(Free).But was wondering if you could mix it with water & feed it.I've never used it , but It seem like I read somewhere that it's not good for bee's , anyone with any info on this?>>>>Mark

I've heard the same as you have. But I have no idea why. I'd take the sugar and do more research as to what additives there are in powdered sugar to keep it from sticking together. That is probably the answer to the mystery. Maybe you could feed it mixed with regular sugar so they only have to deal with it in small amounts. I woulnd't know how to turn down 1000# of sugar.

most powdered sugar is mixed with corn starch to keep it from getting damp and clumpy,i also think this is probably what will dry up and kill brood if you get it into the cell. i wonder if pure powdered sugar would still harm larvea,seems the nurse bees would take care of it.when i use powdered sugar i put granulated sugar in a coffee grinder and it powders it real well.

powdered sugar has corn starch in it and it is no good for hummingbirds, they reject it. Made that mistake a number of years ago. Extra fine sugar box looks just like the powdered sugar box. The hummers where taking one sip and splitting....after glaring at me. Cannot imagine the bees going for it.

The starch in powdered sugar will "stop up" your bees. The exact opposite effect of Nosema.
    Stick with granulated.

powdered sugar has corn starch in it and it is no good for hummingbirds, they reject it. Made that mistake a number of years ago. Extra fine sugar box looks just like the powdered sugar box. The hummers where taking one sip and splitting....after glaring at me. Cannot imagine the bees going for it.

Man I've got a 1000lb's of it,I knew I read somewhere a long time back not to feed it to bees ,But could not remember why.so thank you all.( we can all get together later & make cup cake's}>>>>>>>Mark

There must be some practical way to separate the sugar from the starch. I don't know what it is though.