hooisyurbee Guest

I installed a shallow honey super and queen excluder about a month ago and still no honey or comb building in the honey super. Anyone have suggestions on whats happening??? and when I inspect should I break the hive down completely and inspect all the supers??? I'm very confused in this part of the beekeeping experience.

My first guess is that there is no flow going on... Without a need they probably wont draw out the frames...

I would like to suggest that you remove the queen excluder, unless your using a top entrance. A lot of us have experienced a loss of honey production when using excluders.

I think you have received some good advice. Bees will rarely fight through an excluder to draw comb. And if there is no flow, they definitely won't draw any. What they will do, is use up the brood nest for storage and start thinking of casting late swarms. Not good for you or them. I find the best use for queen excluders is for cooling freshly backed bread, or as a grill when camping to cook a fish. Course, that's just me.

I agree with the advice. It may be there is no flow. It may be they don't like the excluder. I gave up on them. I rarely use an excluder and only if I have a specific puprose like putting in on the bottom to keep the queen in or using it when rearing queen cells in a queenright hive etc.

Hey Salt Lake,

Those are some good ideas I havent thought of....

hooisyurbee Guest

Thanks everyone....I like the baked bread rack the best. I will remove the excluder and see what happens. I expect the golden rod will be taking off here soon.

hooisyurbee Guest

1 more question....if I remove my excluder will the queen lay eggs in the top super and if so how do you extract clean honey.

Sorry for the tupid questions but this is my first year/try at this.

Thanks

If there is brood in the comb, then leave it. It it's all honey, take it. I have to go through and brush all the bees off anyway, so it's no problem for me. Usually there is only a little brood in the first super if any. Of course I run all the same sized frames, no exlcuder and no chemicals. So I really don't care about a distinction between the brood and the supers. If it has all honey it's a super. If it has some brood in it, then the queen needed the room so it's a brood chamber. I can pull frames of honey from the brood nest or whereever and it doesn't really matter to me.

I don't try to extract frames with brood in them generally. Occasionally it's just a few drone cells and I cut them out and extract the rest.