Thread: new bee yard

If I'm going to get bees'and my new bee yard is not ready,can I put them in a temporary spot and move them later? C.D.

You can always move bees, but it is a lot easier on them if you can start out where you want them to end up.

If it's more than two miles away from the original site, it will be pretty simple. If it's not, they will get more confused and try to return to the original site.

When you move them, put a branch in front of the entrance so they will see something is different and reorient. Also, if you are less than two miles away, leave an empty box on a bottom with a lid at the old location and close it up and take it back to the new location after dark on the first day and open the entrance and put a branch in front of it.

How confused will the bees get if I move a hive only about one foot to the side?

Thanks, Jorge

A foot or two won't cause a problem. That's about the limit.

One foot they won't notice. Two feet will confuse them for a little while but not long. I move them 100 yards or more often and do just what I said above. Just put a branch in front of the hive and an empty box on a bottom with a top at the old location and move it back to the new one after dark. They will sort it out by the end of the second day.