I'm new to all this. I just read Beekeeping for dummies. I want to get a hive this winter and have it ready for next spring. I have 2.5 acres and live on the front half which I keep up as my yard. The back half I have mowed by tractor in the summer. Will I be able to put my hive in the area I mow or should I put it way out back? I would prefer it closer to the house if possible.

Put them where ever you like. I've had them by my back door. I've had them hundreds of yards out. Just don't face the entrance where you'll be walking close past it all the time and it could be anywhere. The further they are the harder they will be to work and the less you'll check on them.

I try to get some morning sun and some afternoon shade, but often I just have them out in the open.

M

Yes, by all means, put them where you want them. I agree with Michael, to put the entrances out of your walking path though. I raise queens next to my back porch. Really easy to check on that way. Make sure you entrance faces away from the most common wind direction though. I have my main hives under trees, but the trees are big enough that I get sun and shade during the course of the day.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

[This message has been edited by Hook (edited November 03, 2002).]

I also have a hive in the house. an observation hive, but it's wonderful to see what the bees are up to.

Thanks for the replies. I have a good place staked out I think. Its a 3' by 5' concrete pad that I poured about 15 yrs ago. I'm thinking about getting some cinder blocks to put the hive on. Its about 100 feet from my garden and I can get a water hose to within about 50' of it so that I can put in some kind of bee water hole. I love do it yourself things and I hope this is as fun for me as it is for all the folks here.

If you have a water source (pond or stream) close by the bees will find it and you won't have to supply water for them. Dale

Hi,

Also don't put bees near clothes lines. Bee doo doo can ruin clothes.

Clay

Didn't think of the clothes line issue, but he's right. The yellow/brown stains are not good for clothes. They do like to suck up the water on the clothes too. As far as a water source, it depends on what is around you. If the nearest water source is your neighbors fish pond, you may want to provide a more convenient one before they get in the habit of going to the neigbors. It's best to try to head off any problems with your bees frightening or pestering anyone else.

Cool

Galveston, You can place the hive anywhere you want. Just allow for safety of animals and people, 100 feet from the house is good. Bees would like to be about 10 feet off the ground, but, placed on concrete blocks works well for humans. Try to face the opening to the south. Place the hive in a fairly sunny spot. You should do well, the bees do all the work anyway. Try not to disturb them too much. Steve

I admit, I wouldn't have wanted the mean bees I had this summer near my house, but in the past I have had a hive 10 feet from my back door, and two feet from the house and never had a problem.

Question

How about other pets?
    My dog may cause trouble, at least ONCE.
    How do you handle this?

My dog was in the yard not far from the hive, but they never bothered him. I was in town at the time and she was chained up. The hive was facing away from her and she couldn't reach the hive, but she could get pretty close. Now that I've had some of my hives get mean, I think that may have been optimistic. I wouldn't worry about my dog as long as she can run. She likes to lay under the tables I have my hives on now and the bees were quite mean this summer, but she could run away when she wanted to. My horses were getting stung this summer if they got too close (as I said my bees turned mean until I requeened them) they can get within a few feet of the hives, but not to them, but horses run away and then the bees leave them alone. The chickens seem oblivious.

All excellent answers!! When I put my first two hives up they were twenty feet from the kids swingset on the back lawn. Now, I can't, and won't suggest anyone doing this for obvious reasons but it was my experience for four years until I moved. I keep only two hives in my home yard now on the edge of my property but they are not far from the dog kennel or the hen house and nothing seems to be bothered. We have had as many as 16 hives on the back lawn in the spring after splits and still have had no trouble.

Good luck and stop by anytime.

David

------------------
    Maine-ly Bees
    David Wallace and Family
    Bowdoinham, ME
    dwallace@llbean.com