Thread: Drones?

Hybrid View

Thumbs down

I made my second inspection today. It seems that all the capped brood have a dome shape to them. I have also noticed a lot of drones flying around the hive. Is my queen in trouble? This is my third week of keeping bees so I’m a little paranoid.

You have good reason to be concerned. Last year was our first year. We started with two hives. One started exactly like yours - all drones. We immediately contacted our supplier and they sent us a new queen. But by the time she was introduced the hive had dwindled as the old workers died. New workers didn’t come fast enough to replace them. In the end, the hive didn’t survive. We were novices, and in hind site what we should have done is added a frame or two of brood from our strong hive.

I think you have a sterile queen. My understanding is that this can happen if she gets too cold, but there are probably other reasons too. A sterile queen can still lay eggs, but with no sperm they are all drones. My suggestion would be to replace your queen as soon as you can, and add a couple frames of brood from another hive. If you don’t have another hive, you might check with other beekeepers in your area.

Doug

Sad

No other hive & no beekeepers close that I know of. I thought this might be the case. Looks i might not be a beekeeper to much longer.

Thanks for the reply

Don't give up. This is my first year too and things aren't going just like they do in all the books. I'm probably manipulating my hives too much and I have one hive doing great and one that isn't doing well at all. I guess this is going to be a learn as you go process.
    We'll see.
    Sparrow

[This message has been edited by sparrow (edited May 06, 2002).]