Just got my lemongrass oil and plan on setting out 3 traps tomorrow.

How many drops per box?? How often do you add more drops?

I am also going to paint in some old melted brood comb on the interior sides of the box.

Thanks

I had best luck really pouring it on across the topbars and some on the comb, Like thirty drops.

sounds like an awful lot. I thought it was like three drops per box and lasts three months.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

OK now 3 drops or 30 drops........... Think I need some more input here folks.

Also interested in the time I need to go back and refresh with X amount of additional drops.

Thanks

I asked the same question about two months ago. Micheal Bush answered: "One to four drops would be the range I would use. I usually shoot for three drops in the center of the center top bar (if I have frames in the trap)." He also said that he would check about once a month and that if he can smell the lemon grass oil, he figures it doesn't need any more for a while. Do a search for "lemongrass oil".

May depend on the oil? I bought some(a dram) that worked very well and used it all. I bought some more(an ounce, for the same money) from a different source. It seemed "watered down" and didn't smell quite the same. It hasn't worked very well at all. In all fairness, the swarm season may very well be mostly behind us out here, and i will reserve judgement until this time next year. Although with the record rainfall we had this last winter, it may not be a fair comparison at all. For what that's worth. jim
    My Mom's other kids are smarter than me, but i'm not nearly as nice.

ItÂ’s not a real big deal how much lemongrass oil you use. Actually, more lemongrass oil will have better results as the scent can travel further. I one added an ounce or a bit more of lemongrass oil to one cup of melted bees wax. I painted this hot wax inside, around the entrance of 15 traps. The bees went crazy over the scent. The heat of the sun may have released more scent each day when the wax softened.

I'll repeat....I had better luck with thirty drops than I had with three or four. Four late swarms caught in nucs with four full combs and a good dosing of lemongrass oil.

I haven't tried a lot more than three or four drops. I can't say it wouldn't work better, but three or four seemed to work.

The wax idea would do a more slow release.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I melted old brood comb to make about a cup of slurry. I added a dash or two of lemongrass oil and smeared it in the trap/nuc boxes.

I also put 6 drops of plain lemongrass oil on some bare wood.

Wow for lemondrop smell!!!