Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Laws Regarding the Sell of Honey...

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Frosty 
#1 ·
What are the laws if any for selling honey? Do I have to register somewhere or what? I live in Texas, so that may help with specific information. Thanks everyone. Also, is honey good to sell right after extraction, or do I need to process it somehow. And do I filter it?

#3 ·
Frosty, I don't know if there are any laws concerning the sale of honey. If you sell over a certain dollar amount you should report the income, I believe the amount is $500 I am not sure. As far as I know you do not need to register anywhere to sell your honey, some individual townships may require more ask your local town clerk, as far as I know you just put out a sign "Local Honey For Sale" and see what happens. Honey is great just after extraction. Do not refridgerate honey. I do filter my honey to remove bee parts and other things you would not want in the honey. Some will raise the temperature of the honey to 100 degrees to retard crystalization, I do not. I have customers that want cappings in the honey. You should ask you customers what they want and try to accommodate them. Package the honey and they will come. Steve

[This message has been edited by NewBee (edited July 30, 2002).]

#4 ·
For the laws on beekeeping and selling honey you should contact Texas department of agriculture: http://www.agr.state.tx.us/
Here in Georgia they want us to be registered with them. After extraction I always let my honey to stand for about a week in closed buckets so all particles will come up and then I filter and package it in jars. The most popular size that I sell is quart jars. You should always put address or a phone number on a jar's label.

Andrey.

G
#5 ·
Hello,
This is wat it takes to sell ONE jar of honey in Virginia. For selling one jar you are now a business. You must have a Va. tax number to collect sales tax. Register in your county as a business. Have a State kitchen inspection ($40) , a private well inspection ($45). Your labels must be sent in and approved as to address, contents, net weight and size of type. Ton's of honey are sold everyday without the above, let's get real. Sell to your neighbor's, put out a "local honey" sign, sell at your state fair. Remember "your" honey is the BEST honey!!!!
Kevin

#6 ·
Hey everyone. Thanks for the help. Now all I have to deal with is an ex partner in the biz. This guy just totally did a 180 on me and started a fight with me and wants to get out. When bee partners go bad.... It's just plain silly. At least I can keep all of the profits from the honey.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.