Question

Besides the obvious advantage of cell area for the queen to lay, what advantages do deep supers have over mediums for brood chambers?

Maybe you already see this as brood area, but the queen tends to lay a circlular pattern and the circle is much smaller on a medium frame and she has to move from chamber to chamber more. You'll notice when running two deeps for brood that most of the brood is in one chamber. The queen seems to like it that way. If you're running mediums you'll have to have a minimum of three chambers and she's still going to prefer one. All in all, I don't see that much difference. If I was going back to running hives vertically (which I'm not) I'd run all mediums for consistency and to avoid lifting full deeps.

As it is I'm trying to get to all deeps and run the hive horizontally with a six foot six inch long table for a giant bottom board and all of the boxes on one level. But I also have a double size brood chamber that holds 22 frames.

hello Brandon
    well as long as there are beekeepers they never agree on how is best.
    my self I have been useing the 6 5/8 med supers for long time now as I put them in queen nucs.
    there is no bad way=====Don

Besides the obvious advantage of cell area for the queen to lay, what advantages do deep supers have over mediums for brood chambers?

reply:

I guess less frames to go through. Less frames to build. With that said use what you want. I use deeps. It is the principles of management that really counts not really the equipment.

Clay