Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

American Foulbrood outbreak in my 2 day old hive

13K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  sqkcrk 
#1 ·
Hello beesource mermbers, im a newbie from Prince George Va. I imported a Nuc from Flordia and unfortunatley it had a foulbrood outbreak and the state apiarist came to visit today and had me destroy the colony. Im really bummed out about it but maybe ill be able to find bees next year and try again:scratch:

#14 ·
This is a true story that was told to me last night. The family was dirt poor. she had built her bees up to the point that she was starting to show a profit. The state inspector had just retard, and a young inspector replaced him. On the first inspection from this young man who was straight out of college, he thought he was seeing American foulbrood in her hives. He did the tooth pick test, and made her burn all of her bees,and equipment. She was smart enough that she sent samples off to Auburn University. She didn't have foulbrood, and no bees, or equipment.

#16 ·
Um, not so fast.

I'm always a bit leery when the claims start flying without an opportunity for the supplier to state his side of the story, or before he has had an opportunity to set things right.

I've taken the liberty of sending the company a link to this thread, which might need to be in Consumer Reports.

Hives and More.com
1145 Sheffield Rd
St Johns, FL 32259
904 586 8687 / 866 399 0347

We're about 3 miles south of the Julington Creek Bridge just off State Rd 13. Your'e more than welcome to stop by to see us but please call first to make an appointment.

#22 ·
Hi, I spoke with you yesterday and today from HivesandMore about the bee issue. When I asked you the following questions. Did you notice any nasty smells during the inspections, what tests he performed. Your response was you did not notice any nasty smells, you stated he used a tooth pick and is came out as brown lump. I ask if you noticed if is was stringy like chew gum being stretch. You said no. I asked which foul brood did your inspector said it was. You stated he did not state which foul brood. You also said it would take five days for him to get his test results back. I asked if he did a holst milk test. You said no. We offered to refund your money when you send us a letter from your bee inspector, stating he order you to destroy the bees. You said he was going to call our state inspectors, we have not heard from our bee inspector. I did however, after speaking to you. I called and requested our inspector to come to very the claims made against us. We are inspected yearly and before you pick up the bee to transport 12 hours, I confirmed there was a queen and it was a healthy hive before the hive was sealed up for you. I did not see or smell any signs of either type of foul brood.

#23 ·
wassmerk,
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm wondering if this wasn't a case of the brood getting cooked while in transport. Dead brood, not AFB.

Can you explain how you prepare a nuc for beekeeper transport? Rcard86 described the nuc being shrink wrapped. How is tghe shrink wrap used. What is the nuc box like?

#24 · (Edited)
We use strips of plasticell to cover up the entrance of the hive and 4 staples to hold it in place. It wrap around the base covering the two inch plasticell over entrance. It was wrap around the center of hive from top to bottom to hold the hive cover in place. The shrink wraps only 4" wide. The hive was a ten frame hive with telescoping hive cover and screen bottom board. We did not shrink wrap the entire hive. We also do nuc the same if they are being transport long distance. I was not present at time he pick up his bees. If he had placed them on the seat instead the bed truck that could cause the screen bottom board to have a ventilation problem.

#28 ·
a/c was on i have a metal platform on my floor and the hive had a few inches of air gap, (again we have a field diagnosis, no offical conformation!!!!!!!!!) The hive was packaged perfectley i think i just have an inspector who is over reacting, and i am pi**ed he made me kill the bees. AGAIN THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ANYONE i WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT THE STAFF AT HIVES AND MORE IS VERY KNOWLEGABLE AND EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!

#29 ·
a/c was on i have a metal platform on my floor and the hive had a few inches of air gap, (again we have a field diagnosis, no offical conformation!!!!!!!!!) The hive was packaged perfectley i think i just have an inspector who is over reacting, and i am pi**ed he made me kill the bees. AGAIN THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ANYONE
This not attack on you. Unfortunately when a person read AFB it can ruin a company/bee supplier. I had to provide a bit from hives and more to show we are working with on this problem and we are concerned. Hence, why I called our inspector because we are a responsible business and this is a serious matter that concerns all beekeepers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.