Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How much honey?

12K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Ben Little 
#1 ·
Me being new not quite sure where this should go but move the thread if need be.

How much honey should I be able to get out of a first year hive? Just looking for an estimate.
This is my first year and before I spend the money on everything I would like to know if I should be able to make money or at least break even the first year.

Thanks, spencer

#36 ·
If you are starting with a nuc and you have a good flow of nectar you could possibly harvest some surplus honey. But, don't be tempted to take what you should be leaving for the bees.

Most of my nuc hives from last year drew out both deeps and over half drew out three deeps with the third deep complete with honey. About 25%, the remaining, had drawn out three deeps but the flow stopped in the spring and didn't allow them to fill the third deep with honey. Last year was an exceptionally good year year here in Texas. That's not a typical year.

The only hive I had last year that had come through the previous winter, supplied me with 4 deeps of surplus honey.

#37 ·
I just went through my first season and i started with 4 nucs. I had some queen issues on 2 hives. i ended up extracting 128 lbs altogether. and i left a few full supers of honey to feed my 4 splits .
my nucs were all 4 framers. and they had to build all new comb in 2 ten frame deeps plus medium honey supers.

So if this tells you anything ?

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.