Smells like a brewery
Well being a newbee I don't know what to make of this. I started a package at the end of April. I've been feeding them light syrup and megabee right in a hive top feeder. Seems that in about three to four days if I check the feeder I've got a bubbling wort smelling brew going on. I've tried to add a few drops of bleach to the mix when it's first mixed, but it's no help. Any suggestions?
There is a nectar flow on, stop feeding. If there is a flow on, they won't take it. If they are taking it, but just not fast enough, give them less. I don't know if someone told you to use bleach, but I would not do that. Ask yourself if you would eat food that has bleach in it.
I agree, April packages shouldn't still be on feeders.
I was a little afraid to stop feeding as it's already drying up here in CA and they seem to be building slowly, just added second deep. The bleach came from Randy Oliver's wesite saying that a few drops would help keep the syrup from spoiling in the heat.
"Ask yourself if you would eat food that has bleach in it."
If you have water from a public supply Co. you are drinking bleach :(
Lemon juice (squeeze about 1/4 lemon into a gallon of feed) and cider vinegar (1 tsp/gallon feed) will both also help retard mold. (not prevent, but slow down)
the scent of the lemon also attracts bees to the feed. I always squeeze lemon juice into my feed - whatever I've got in the fridge for cut lemon - not very precise at all. I don't often use cider vinegar because I've almost always got lemons on hand
I use the cider vinegar also and some homemade honey-B-healthy, I got the recipe off of here.
Stop feeding the megabee. The light syrup is ok now if you're trying to get foundation drawn. Depending where you are, your next bloom could be toyon. Star thistle is starting and tar weed won't be far behind. A little bleach in your syrup won't hurt. You're right. Everything has dried out. We've been in a dirth for about 2 weeks but the star thistle is just starting here. It's been blooming for a month in the valley. If you haven't, you might want to look up the beekeepers assoc. in your area.
Valley Springs, CA
p.s. watch out for the Buckeye
Nevada County Beekeepers’ Association
When: 1st Monday of the month
Where: Grass Valley Veterans Memorial Building (rear)
227 South Auburn Street
Grass Valley, CA
Contact: Rob Slay, President
Club Activities: Beginner class each spring
School and civic visits upon request
“Honey Bee Hotline” for swarms
Nevada County Fair – permanent booth
Wow, I use bleach for cleaning, but I always thought bleach is to toxic to put it in water, or feed. Never knew about the bleach in the water system, makes we want to drink rain water.
2:1 keeps much better than 1:1.
Bees do seek out chlorine from pools and some low levels of bleach, as well as minerals and salt.
As I just posted about salt on another thread, its one thing for the bees to collect what they deem needed. Its another thing to force feed them these same chemicals, minerals and whatever else there is.
How about just mixing up smaller amounts, Something they can process prior to the stuff going bad.
Thanks everyone. Being a newbee, it's a little overwhelming to dig through all the info out there. The regional production differences in this forum are very interesting to hear about. To say nothing of all the great individual management choice insights. I'm heading to the Nevada county Beek club on Monday, Thanks Jim.