I lost one of my two top bar hives this winter, probably due to a combination of insufficient food stores and an ant invasion when I tried to feed. I was cleaning out the hive box to get ready for a new package, and the existing comb is a bit moldy. I stuck the bars with moldy comb in my freezer, but I left 2 small clean looking combs. Should I get rid of it all before the new girls arrive? It seems that having a few combs might help them get started, but I don't want to risk disease with moldy comb. And should I do anything besides sweep out? The hive looks ok inside.
I'd give them all to the new bees. They will celan them up.
Moldy combs are no problem for the bees. They easily clean up such combs.
I agree. I put old mody comb in with package of bees. Week later if was as if the comb was flat wax. They tore it down and made fresh comb to work with. This was in spring. They will also do the same over winter as long as the colony is strong.