I just got a used extractor from a fellow member of this forum. I found that a few spots (on rivets especially) inside the extractor are rusty. I am planing to sand them and coat them with bee's wax. Does anybody have a better suggestion?
That would probably work. You could also put a little epoxy on them. It might last longer. I often end up washing my extractor out with pots of boiling water which would melt the beeswax.
There's a way to get rid of rust that antique dealers and others use that involves a battery charger. The rusty item gets the negative clamp and the sacrifice item gets the positive. You need a solution of lye or baking soda. (I know which I prefer to use.) Fill your extractor with the solution. In the center but not touching, dangle a sacrifice piece of steel. Hook up and plug in! I've never used this on anything this large so let me know how you make out.
Jorge, Use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda in the solution rather than Lie. Much safer. 1 hand full to the gallon of water. It Works. Dale