Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

russian bee

13K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Hi I have been reading these forums for several months now and have really enjoyed them. I do have a question that has really confused me. I have seen russian bees described as both caucasion and as carnolian. Can someone please clear this up for me.

------------------
Thank You

#27 ·
txbeeguy,

I understand the Caucasian Mountains to be quite different from the Appelachians; much taller, and in a very different position on its continent.
The Caucasus region is also famous for genetic diversity, in everything from wheats to plant diseases, and has been called 'a mountain of languages' for its linguistic complexity.
As Ice Ages come and go, certain regions happen to avoid associated widespread rapid and extreme climatic change, preserving their genetic diversity while most temperate areas must start again, usually from a few colonist from these genetic refugia. These areas are often mountainous; it is thought that plants, etc. can move up or down to keep in nearly the same tempurature, or around mountian ridges to keep in similar humidity/precipitation regimes, during great climate change.
Perhaps similar, but more subtle climate patterns on shorter cycles have led to the accumulation of languages, cultures and human genetic diversity in the Caucasus.

Brian Cady

#28 ·
Could the Russian stocks have, in addition to Varroa mite resistance, some Vespa mandarina japonica resistance?

(I just stumbled back through web material on it, and on Apis cerana genetic resistance; I put lots of links in a new topic in 'Queens and breeding' here. The topic's best read when terror's welcome.)

Brian Cady

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.