Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

forage for bees in hot climate

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dragonfly 
#1 ·
I have a field that's about 5 acres that I want to plough or disc and plant bee forage plants. I am in zone 7b with hot summers and fairly mild winters (usually few freezes with a usual maximum low temp in the high teens or low 20's). Does anyone have suggestions as to what would make good bee foraging fields in the south central US? The soil here is very dark with a fairly high clay content and a higher than neutral pH. I have considered vetch since I know from experience that it grows well here, but would appreciate some other suggestions. Thanks for any info

#3 ·
Triker3
Thanks for the reply. I decided last week to try clover and am now trying to find out what varieties do well in this area. I do have a few wild sunflowers and have noticed that the bumblebees seem to like it more than the honeybees, but I saved seeds and will plant some of them also. I noticed last week, that the honeybees are carrying in loads of pollen, and I have't figured out yet where they are collecting it- certainly not in my vegetable garden, lol. The sumacs are blooming now in this area. Do you happen to know if they are good forage trees/ shrubs? I suppose I need to drive around the countryside a little while and find out what's out there, huh? Again, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.