Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello all you BEEKS!

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  dragonfly 
#1 ·
I'M AN OLD GUY LEARNING SOME NEW TRICKS AND NEED ALL THE HELP i CAN GET.This is an awesome site and I have been lurking here for weeks.Looks to me you all bring something good to the forum. I moved down here from Alaska and have 10 acres in northern Missouri and have been chomping at the bit for years to get somewhere the bee keeping is plausible.I WILL APOLOGISE AHEAD OF TIME FOR THE DUMB QUESTIONS I WILL ASK.I have ordered 2 packages of bees for mid April but as yet not built or decided which is best. THANKS ! macbee Newbee

#2 ·
Welcome, and never hesitate to ask a question. Some cranks will suggest the search function, but sometimes you just want to ask it again, so go a head, someone will likely answer.

You will get to know a bunch of the regulars, their habits, likes and dislikes in bee keeping. Not everyone is going to keep bees exactly like you, so work around some of the answers, and enjoy. Just like doctors we all are in practice.

Best Regards

Bryn

#3 ·
Welcome, there are plenty of choices in hives - frames or top bars, Kenyan or Tanzanian, 10 frame or 8 frame, deep or medium, cypress or pine, migratory or telescoping cover. Then there is foundation, no foundation or small cell, plastic, beeswax or duracrap.
My suggestion is keep it simple to succeed - 10 frame medium with standard plastic foundation and whatever bees you can get for the first year. We build hives at the workshops with two supers for $30 and put bees in for $50. Add a smoker, hive tool and veil, and you are a new beekeeper for $110 total.

#8 ·
i would check out this web site - http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

read as much as you can before you decide. i did 1 year with deeps and foundation and switched the second year to foundationless mediums and wish i would have started with mediums. it is a pain to switch from deeps to mediums. i would not start with foundationless i would work into it slowly. the best advice i could give is - dont just buy every gadget and etc. for beekeeping. there is alot you can do without.

#10 ·
Hello and Welcome!

You've come to the right place to learn more about bees and beekeeping. You may want to start with the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum - it contains suggestions and recommendations covering the basics. The "search" function is also very useful: many times I can find immediate answers to my questions in previous threads.

I also recommend getting involved with a local club. Clubs are good places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers. Plus, clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and members can provide valuable insights into which beekeeping practices work best in your area.
http://www.mostatebeekeepers.org/local_associations.htm

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.