Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

mite strips

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JD's Bees 
#1 ·
what are the best mite strips to use you dont have to removean what about the the ones that

#2 ·
I like Might Away II , like you say you don't have to remove them, you can use during a flow, and it is naturaly ocurring in the hive at lower levels. But you will hear a thousand opinions on this one. The chem free will probably be the first ones, bragging on how they don't use chemicals.

#6 ·
If you want to treat for mites with supers on, I would recommend Hopguard. I just tried it for the first time, and it was very easy on the bees and is effective. To have the most effect, you need to replace them three weeks in a row.

I have used Apiguard/Thymol in the past with good results. Two treatments are required, and there are no strips involved.

IMHO, Mite Away Quick Strips are much harder on the bees. I have a box of that stuff that I would be happy to sell at a discount to sombody who wants to give their bees a bad day against good judgment, although the buyer would need to pay shipping.

Ideally, you should count mites to see if you need to treat before treating.

Further ideally, you should use mite-resistant queens.

If you are truly seeking the ideal, don't treat and breed queens from your survivors, so you won't need to treat at all. Maybe in my next life, I'll be that dude. For now, there's Hopguard.

Neil

#8 ·
Hopguard may be wonderful - but there are many states that have not (yet) approved its use, and to where it can not be shipped. My understanding is that that it has not been considered under Section 18 emergency use approval for Maine as we already have other products that combat mites with Section 18 approval.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.