Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Donate Honey ?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BWrangler 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody,
Does anybody donate honey. If so where do you donate it ?

#2 ·
The Ronald McDonald house is a good organization. I have voluntered some time there. Basically our local house is like a home away from home for the parents of chilren in the hospital. The children may be in the hospital for anything from cancer treatment to burns. The parents may stay at the house for a very small fee per night, (I think it's like $10) or is waived if financial situations do not permit. Almost all of the food (and everything else) is donated to the house. Not to mention there are always countless childrens housing, homeless shelters, meals on wheels, nursing homes ect. that would appreciate any donation.

#6 ·
Information for any of the Beekeepers in Eastern NY area.
The Catskill Mtn. Beekeepers are have a begineer seminar in Acra, Greene County, on March 16 from 10:00 till 4:00 cost is $5.00 per person. We have meeting the second Tuesday of every other month in Acra. www.catskillbees.org
The Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association is having an all day seminar at SUNY Albany March 22, 9:00 - 4:30.Topics to include Varroa Controls, spring management, etc. Cost: $25.00 per person registration required
if you have any questions or are interested I can e-mail the form. www.scottyates@starband.net

#7 ·
And getting back on topic,
I donate some of the harvest to my local town pantry. I also donate to a couple of local churches in town.
Our town puts together holiday baskets during the year and gives them
out to folks in town. I usally give them a couple dozen of 8 oz squeeze bears.
No labels. Sales always seem to improve after I donate.

#9 ·
Hello Everyone,

My experience with donating honey haven't been too positive. Not many small organizations exist in my community. They have banded together to provide more comprehensive, centralized services and weren't interesting in my 400lbs of donated honey.

It appears they didn't have the expertise to utilize it and much preferred sugar instead. Maybe issues of product liability were a concern also. Money is lots more versatile to them than honey and was the preferred medium.

Smaller less centralized agencies would probably be more receptive and maybe less regulated. They might even sell it along with baked goods, etc. to convert it to money for their use if needed.

Best Wishes
Dennis
Very disappointed honey giver

#8 ·
Hello Everyone,

My experience with donating honey haven't been too positive. Not many small organizations exist in my community. They have banded together to provide more comprehensive, centralized services and weren't interesting in my 400lbs of donated honey.

It appears they didn't have the expertise to utilize it and much preferred sugar instead. Maybe issues of product liability were a concern also. Money is lots more versatile to them than honey and was the preferred medium.

Smaller less centralized agencies would probably be more receptive and maybe less regulated. They might even sell it along with baked goods, etc. to convert it to money for their use if needed.

Best Wishes
Dennis
Very disappointed honey giver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.