Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Entrance size for Top Bar Hive

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gmcharlie 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am very new to bees. We bought a Top Bar kit which had holes on the side. I would prefer an entrance at one end. I was thinking of making a slot near the top of the hive. I was think of 1/2 inch by 4 inches wide. My question do you think this is big eough? How far down from the first top bar should the hole be.
Thanks
Sandra

#2 ·
I'm not good at math but I think 1/5 of an inch is smaller than 1/4" which is pretty slim for a bee entrance. I make mine 3/8" X 14 3/4" on my Langstroth hives. Where will you find a tape measure or ruler that has 1/5 increments? The 4" width sounds fine. If it is at the bottom the bees will have an easier time dragging out waste.

#5 ·
Hi. Thanks for the replies. This is the kit we bought. http://virginiabeesupply.com/Top_Bar_Hives.html

I am not sure how to how to just leave a space at the top, like Rader suggested because of the top cover. (Thanks for the link to Bush Farms. )

I want to make this easy since husband is doing me the favor of putting together hive and letting me get the bees. He is also adding windows to the sides.

Since some just leave a space at the top. I am guessing that the location of the holes can be any distance from the top?

Thanks
Sandra

#6 ·
Sandra, I agree that with that peaked style lid using a top entrance that simply shifts the first bar is probably not practical. In this case I'd put the end entrance hole just under the overhang of the top cover.

You didn't ask about this, but I'd recommend you normally keep the "mite tray" in place even if you are not doing a mite count. In particular, have that screen closed off when you install your bees. There are multiple reports on Beesource of newly installed bees absconding from TBHs with open screened bottoms. I built in a screened bottom into my self-made TBH, but keep it closed off all the time. With the adequate ventilation from a Bush style top entrance, I have seen no need to have the bottom screen opened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.