Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Watering & mosquitoes

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ikeepbees 
#1 ·
Cut a plastic barrel in half longways and made a water plant planter and bee waterer. To check mosquitoes I could put vegetable oil on the water. The larva die cause they can't get air. If I put Food grade mineral oil on the water could a bee drink through it? Still get to the water, I mean. Then at the same time I might be controlling mites. Then again I could just leave it as is.

Hived the bees last weekend. Did an inspection today. Saw the queen and there are 3 frames being drawn out. They are busy.

#2 ·
I am not sure if they could get water through mineral oil,I think it would depend on how thick the oil was on the surface.I water my bees with an old bathtub on cement blocks.It has a drain plug,and once every week or so during the summer I just drain it and refill,to keep the skeeters down.I also float an old piece of foam cushion in there to keep the bees from drowning and to give them a place to land( a homemade lily pad!) Just my two cents...JOHN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.