Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My new hive top enterence

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I thought I would post some pictures of how I made my hive top enterence. The idea came from M.B. website.

First I purchased 15" cedar shims from Home Depot for $4.
Wood Hardwood Box

I also purchased a 1/4" 3' piece of wood for $1.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plank

I trimmed the shims with a utility knife. Stained and varnished them, and tacked them on top of the super.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Table Furniture

Box Furniture Wood Product Chest

Did the same with the 1/4" piece of wood, then tacked it on the front of the super.
Wood Table Furniture Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Furniture Table Wood stain Plywood

Wood Furniture Chest Box Wood stain

The bees like their new front porch.
Wood stain Wood Chest Hardwood Furniture

Wood Hardwood Wood flooring Wood stain Laminate flooring

Wood Table Wood stain Design Hardwood

Birdhouse Wood stain Wood Furniture Birdhouse

Thanks Steve

See less See more
#4 ·
Here's why I would do it differently:
o The box is now a special box. I hate special boxes. When you want to add another box you have to take that into account.
o I don't like landing boards. They probably don't cause too much problem up high, but down low they just help the mice and do nothing for the bees. I like my hives to have nothing protruding so I can back them all up next to each other or tie them on a trailer without things getting in the way.

But it is beautiful.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm

#5 ·
I started out first with just the shims, but I saw the bees having a problem when the were comming in for a landing. Some of the bees comming in would land on another bee, and they would both fall to the ground. I then decided to try the landing board. I know I will have a problem when I take the hive top feeder off. The part of the hive top that overlaps the top box, will cover the landing board. I will have to move the box with the landing board down one box, for them to be able to use the landing board.

#12 ·
>Any problems with rain coming in Michael?

My latest batch of covers are just cut the size of a box with no shims and I slide it back 1/2" to make the entrance that faces straight up. No problems with rain. It just runs down the inside of the front of the hive. The more overhang you have the more it catches the wind and the the rain follows the wind in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.