Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Swarm combine

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Cleo C. Hogan Jr 
#1 ·
I got a swarm a week ago...about 3 lb I'm guessing...not big, but it seems to be doing fine. I would like to strengthen it up with another swarm if I get the opportunity. What would be the best method for doing this? Newspaper combine? Should I get rid of one of the queens before I try to combine, or let them duke it out? I don't want to start a huge bee battle and lose all of them....thanks!

#2 ·
Evaluate the queens laying patterns before uniting them together, and dispose of the worst queen, don't let them fight it out, you may end up with two dead queens. If both queens are good then its up to you what you want to do, I don't believe in pinching a good queen, why not make a nuc with her and a couple frames of brood and bees, you never know when you may need another queen. John

#3 ·
Yeah...that sounds like great advice. However, my problem is I am new to beekeeping this year, and I don't have anymore equipment available to start anymore hives. That's why I thought if I could get another swarm and bolster my smallest colony, it would be worth getting another swarm. Otherwise, I'll just have to start turning down the swarms. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.