Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Vinegar

61K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  Fishman43 
#1 ·
Do we have any vinegar makers out there? I am thinking about trying to make some vinegar out of mead. Have any of you tried it?

#45 ·
I was going with Lalvin D-47, but now I'm looking at Lalvin EC-1118. What would you recommend?
When I make vinegars I want all of the sugars fermented.....I mean totally. So I try to be sure that the potential alcohol of my must is less than the alcohol tolerance of the yeast I'm using. I think if you mix up a batch with an 8% potential, either of those yeasts should be fine. Ordinarily I use a champagne yeast...typically with an 18% tolerance. I don't have any brand loyalty when it comes to yeast. I believe I used a Red Star champagne yeast on my last batches.

#47 ·
I'd give the initial fermentation 6 weeks. Then test with a hydrometer to be sure that the sugars are totally fermented out.
Then I'd rack it off of the fermenting lees Add the Braggs. You should see a mother beginning to form within 6 weeks. It should remain undisturbed for 10 - 12 months.
The sediment in the bottom of the Braggs is remnants of the mother, I believe.
Good luck.

#50 ·
Beemandan can you answer this question? I have a mead that I made using 3lbs of honey for a gallon of mead. I did not take a reading of the must, because at the time I didn't know how to use a hydrometer. Anyway I want to make vinegar with this mead and I am afraid that there will still be honey left in it because the yeast I used only goes to about 12 percent. The question is, can I go-ahead and pitch another yeast in there that finish's higher to see if it will use up all the honey, so I end up with a dry mead?

#51 ·
Got the results back from the lab--my vinegar is 3.5 % acid. I plan to sell at local farmers market. May sell pickles too. I have redish colored and very blond. Apples/honey/well water ferment and turn over a year's time. The only difference was the original yeast. Go figure.

#55 ·
Beemandan - When you do your initial mead fermentation with the Champaign yeast do you add any acid, yeast nutrient, tannins, or use campden tablets in the brewing process? Or is it just the must and yeast? Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.