Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New from Eastern Ontario

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  caberwife 
#1 ·
I have been reading up and trying to find out about keeping some bees. I only
want a hive or two and hope to start next spring.There has never been any
bees kept on the family farm. I think the area near the old buildings would
be a great location. It looks like a loosing battle with all that can wrong with
them, still I want to try. This beesource site has tons of great info and thank
you to all who has shared all the great information.Think I will start with brand new hives to avoid any carry-over from used ones. I think there is a dealer near Ottawa, less than an hour from here.
Cheesegenie

#2 ·
Hi Cheesegenie. I'm a second year Ottawa beekeeper. Welcome. :) Glad to see you persevere - it isn't all bad.

"Nobody notices the poop they don't step in."

People tend to post here when they need help, not when everything is going fine. Mind you, I do see more of the "Wow! This is going great!" posts here than on other forums, but they are still outnumbered. :)

Grid.

#3 ·
Hey Cheesegenie, I live about 30 minutes from you in a rural area near Alexandria! I just started with two hives this summer and have met a few beekeepers in the area who are doing just fine, so don't be discouraged! I got my nucs from a fellow just across the border in Quebec, and he makes a modest living off 50 hives, so I think there's every reason to be positive!

Natalie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.