Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

The shake method versus all capped.

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian Quiney WI 
#1 ·
I couldn't think of a better way to title it. I have done some reading and seen that you shouldn't extract a frame unless it is 85-90% capped, and does not shed nectar when you shake it.
I am going to have another extraction run on Wednesday because my bees are going nuts and I have all my mediums on the hives. I was wondering what most people do? I have little experience judging % capped and am thinking about just extracting completely capped frames. I would rather not risk diluting the whole run for the sake of a few frames that could be extracted at the end of the season. Any thoughts anyone?
Adrian.

#3 ·
I don't buy the shake method. I have a refractometer and have tested 20%+ honey that didn't shake out. Now if the other 80% of the honey is 16%, the shake method probably has some validity as it wouldn't bring the average above the allowable moisture content.

But if you use the shake method for all of your honey, I believe you are asking for trouble. I live in a area with fairly low humidity (except when it rains). This means that it is fairly easy for my bees to dry the honey. My capped honey is always 15.5-17.5%. The open honey on frames that are 75% capped is usually around 17-18%.

At the end of the flow when they can't fill up cells of already drawn comb, they won't cap those. This is the reason that I got the refractometer. I would have quite a few frames of completely uncapped honey, but they couldn't get it out to the top of the cells so they wouldn't cap it. It is possible that they would have eventually consolidated the honey and capped some, but I only extract once so waiting was a hassle. I noticed that none of the uncapped frames that I didn't extract and kept over winter fermented.

If you live in an area of high humidity, I think that a refractometer would be an important tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.