Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

found some bees in a holler tree what do ya'll recomend doing with it.

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  odoms bee yard 
#1 ·
im new to the bee keeping world. driven down the rd the other day and seen bees flying everywere got out and there toward the base of the tree.. i'd heard of people cutting the trees down to get them. and other methods.. thanks

#10 ·
They need very young larva to raise a queen. Queens do not come about just because you have bees.

Not to be too critical, but your question suggests to me that you need some basic understanding of what goes on in a colony of bees and some basic beekeeping skills. Find a club near you and get into some hives w/ an experienced beekeeper.

#7 ·
I would leave them alone for this year, (it is beginning to get late for a trapout) there is a danger of the feral colony being depleted going into winter, and the colony you could catch would most likely have to be fed.

Over the winter I would install a transition on the tree, then next Spring, place your trap on the tree, and during late April and up to 15 June, get two or three starts from the tree. You won't hurt the feral colony, and you can get yourself a couple of new colonies.

If you are not familiar with the trapping process, send me an e-mail cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I will send you the info.

cchoganjr

#15 ·
why dont you ask your buddies to give you a noc or a split for a 1/4 of the price? if they are real friend they give it to you free to get you started, and another thing you could do while you learning is start getting your gear like a smoker , hive boxes and frames and most of all some protected gear if you really want to get into bee keeping , Good luck and this forum has everything you need to know some of the guys here are real pro on beekeeping

#14 ·
NorthwestPaBeekeeper.. If you put a trap on them next Spring, You don't need luck, you don't need swarm traps, and you won't need the property owners (around the tree) permission.. All you need is one trap, and you are guaranteed to catch what you want, two or three new colonies, and then leave them for another year. Year after year, repeat.

Swarm traps are hit and miss at best. Trap is a sure thing, doesn't hurt the feral colony. What you trap will be no more than a normal swarm that they will likely throw each year.

cchoganjr

#17 ·
so far i only like one bee vac i saw on the web the rest i saw was using a 5 gal bucket or a super deep just kills too many bees,the one i saw was made out of 10 inch pvc pipe that was 5 feet long, i wish i could remember the site , try to use the lowest setting for sucking up the bees, good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.