Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Indoor Cut Out-need advice

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hemichuck 
#1 ·
I have been asked to do a removal in the spring, from a storage area inside a church. The front wall of the church is block with brick up to about 10 feet, and then it is framed 2x6's with vinyl siding. There is floored storage space above the foyer with 6" Styrofoam insulation in the walls. The bees have chewed out the insulation (they actually chewed through to the inside) in the wall for comb space, and they might be in the space between floor and the ceiling below. I will have to access the job from inside and probably won't be able to use smoke. I'm sure there are other problems associated with indoor cut outs, so I was hoping someone who had done one could give advice.

#3 ·
Thanks Mr.Beeman. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics right now. I know where the bees are, at least part of them, and I know what I will have to do to get to them. The problem is, the cut out will be done entirely from inside the building. I won't be able to use smoke, and I will probably need to put up some kind of plastic barrier to contain bees in that part of the building. I have plenty of time to ponder it, but I'm sure there are aspects that would never occur to me.

#4 ·
I have removed a lot of bees from indoors and you probably wont need to smoke anything. Just cut into the area and remove the bees a comb at a time and put them into some frames.A good bee vac will help you get all the rest. When they are indoors the stray bees head to light so if there is a window you can suck them off the glass. If not set up a light they can go to and keep them all in one place. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.