Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

question for comm. beeks

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  justin 
#1 ·
i am wondering how a commercial beek would feel about someone putting swarm traps close to his outyards.they bring them in in mid may and pull them out in mid october,lots of public land around the outyards.i dont know them or i might ask.i do know most of the land owners where the yards are located. thanks justin

#2 ·
I found a swarm catcher near one of my yards once. At first I was curious about the trap and who put it there. Then, a few minutes later, I thought, "Good for you. I hope you don't get any swarms, but if my hives cast them, I hope you do. Who ever you are." If my hives swarm and don't go into equipment that I have in the yard I don't care where they go, into the woods or your catcher.

#3 ·
I would take offense to someone putting traps right in the yard, lol, or collecting hanging swarms right adjacent to the yard, but generally I agree with Mark. If our colonies swarm, and go into your trap, which is a respectful distance from the yard, more power to you. The bees would probably have a better chance being caught by someone who has gone to that much trouble than on their own in the wild.
Sheri

#5 ·
Yeah, I agree w/ logger and sheri. Anyone in my yard w/out permission is trespassing, imo. And anything they take out of my yard is stealing. Anything that leaves my yard on its' own is fair taking.

I often say that swarms that are out of reach are Gods' bees. So be careful taking them. :)

#9 ·
One thing I don't do anymore is go out and gather swarms when people call. I usually tell them I am all out of empty hives:).And I sure as (edited) don't take bees out of walls and trees.
I get these calls all the time. I wish that local folks that want bees would call me and give me their number.I would happily set them up when i get these calls.
---Mike

#13 ·
thanks for the answers.i'll go with the 400 yard rule,and the out of site rule as well,and i wont be starting any outyards around anyone.his nearest yard is 3 miles from me as the bee flies, or 7 miles as the flatbed drives. and this year i will try to meet them. i only see them when i am already late to somewhere else, or on a roof,etc...to bad i picked a career before i got into bees.thanks
justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.