PDA

View Full Version : Wax moth infested frames...Bad?!?

lilejac
06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
I had a hive die and wax moths infested the hive this past winter. I scraped the old wax off and have tried to use them in hives. However the bees refuse to use them the bee haven't even thought of touching them and have tried to build comb everywhere but on the frames now...what's the problem?? How can I solve it?

schmism
06-18-2013, 12:30 AM
I had a hive die and wax moths infested the hive this past winter. I scraped the old wax off and have tried to use them in hives. However the bees refuse to use them the bee haven't even thought of touching them and have tried to build comb everywhere but on the frames now...what's the problem?? How can I solve it?

what kind of frames? plastic foundation?

if plastic, you will need to coat the plastic in a thin coat of wax else the bees wont draw comb on it.

if reg frames, replace with foundation or use starter strip for foundationless.

Bees In Miami
06-18-2013, 03:47 AM
Did you freeze the frames to kill the wax moth larvae? If the bees aren't touching it, just give them new foundation, and give the frames a good torching. Listen to the bees, and get the damaged crap out of the hive...JMO!

elovvorn
06-18-2013, 09:44 AM

Try spraying sugar syrup on the frame, that will get them to clean it up.

lilejac
06-18-2013, 06:16 PM
They have plastic foundation and I've scraped the old wax off as best I could with a putty knife. Is it a good idea to dip the frames in boiling water to melt the old wax off then coat them with new beeswax?