Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bees on top of frames.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  psfred 
#1 ·
So my first hives were installed about 3 weeks ago and everything seems to be moving along smoothly. During last weeks inspection, about 4 frames were mostly drawn. When I do just a feeder check occasionaly I take a look at the bees from above(I have a cool plexiglass inner cover that allows me to watch them without disturbing them) I have noticed that about 7 frames have bees on top of them just hanging out or scurrying around. I assumed that this was normal and common as they live their little bee life in the hive. Is it normal to have the tops of the frames covered with bees??? Thanks, juzzerbee

#2 ·
My Guild just was talking about this. They were talking about making sure to actually pull the frames to check them because the bees could be just on top of the frames or covering the first inch or so and not the entire frame. They were asking people how many frames were actually full and someone said that they saw bees crowded on top of 4 frames.

From what I've seen, the bees really like the inner cover and cuddle up up there. It's the highest point and so the warmest point in the hive. I see covering all the top, but I have top entrances so that prob is why for me.

#3 ·
Looked into my brother's hive yesterday to see if it needed more supers and to check for swarming -- going to extract a super this weekend since two are full and they are working the foundation on a third. No queen cells, but there are bees EVERYWHERE -- on the comb, on the frames, a large group on the inner cover that eased inside when we took the top off, bees on the sides of the box, even!

When things are going well, the hive will be FULL of bees, as in there isn't really room for more. They were bearding last week, too.

Lovely sight to see.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.